Thursday, July 4, 2013

Expecting

Maddy Martin, a senior at Washburn University in Topeka, KS is contributing this blog to tell of the team's experience in Zimbabwe thus far. 

The one word that comes to mind is expecting. The last five days have been nothing like I had expected them to be. My visions and thoughts that I had prior to being in a new country and on a new continent are quickly changing. 

My first flight over a real ocean rather than a sea went swimmingly... Ha! The lack of sleep on the other hand has been rough to catch up on. The many un-expecting adventures in the airports...every single one we were in...finally brought us to our destination.... Zimbabwe! Never had I dreamt of staying the night in Kenya, but pushing through that finally got me here. 

I was able to sleep in the first morning, along with the others to start the journey at ECV off right. I also got to sleep in a real bed and a house rather than what I was expecting...a tent! I am so thankful that Rory and Judy opened their house to me! 

I have been able to walk through the land and learn how everything at ECV has a use.... Even used tea bags (soaked in kerosene to use as a fire starter)! What Susan and Kevin (the owners) have done with their property is unbelievable. The simple yet intricate work that is completed is breath taking... Hand milking cows, growing everything to be eaten, using straw for a roof, walking everywhere, and sitting outside to eat each meal to name a few. Something I have yet to get used to are the workers. Most tasks completed are done by Africans who are paid to do it... Literally workers. They want to clean the dishes I eat off of or sweep the dirt I carry in the houses with my shoes or even wash my clothes for me because that's how their family is able to live... None of which I was expecting. 

Today I was able to help in the school, in a classroom that had 10-13 year olds. I helped them write letters to their sponsors... Spelling and grammar and sentence structure were the hardest to grasp. I have also had the opportunity to play with the children in the orphanage and eat supper with one of the houses. Star gazing, lots of walking, fighting fires and chatting late at night are some other great times that have taken place. 

Each day in Doma is different and unexpected things take place. I am excited to see what I learn in my time here. Something I have learned is that I would love to spend more time traveling and helping others throughout the world.

Parts I have loved so far:

- Avocados I pick from the trees
- Flying over an ocean 
- Laughing with new friends 
- The slumber parties that take place in the bedroom I stay in 
- Delicious salads with greens from the garden  
- The peacefulness an open savanna brings me 
- Fighting fires like a champ

Peace out for now--

Maddy

1 comment:

  1. Fighting fires? As in putting out fires to keep the house from burning down?

    ReplyDelete