Sunday, July 7, 2013

It's In Their Eyes


My name is Tim Walter. I am a landscape photographer from Denver, Colorado and I’ve come along with the team to Zimbabwe to photograph Eden’s ministry here and the activities of the team. It has been a pleasure to be a part of this trip.

To say that Eden Children’s Village is an extraordinary place or their work is extraordinary work would be an understatement. To try to explain it would never be adequate. To describe the impact they have had on the children here, in many areas, would fall far short. The only way to understand is to see the ministry of ECV firsthand. I am glad that I have had that opportunity and I am so thankful for the support of those friends and family that have made it possible.

I’ve been moved in many ways in just a few days here, but let me tell you about today.

I suppose because I’ve bundled a ton of camera gear over here to Africa and my primary responsibility has been to photograph a story – ECV’s story – Susan Fry (of one of ECV’s founding missionary couples) asked me if I would go around to each of the classrooms, morning and afternoon, and photograph all the kids so they would have a picture to send to their sponsors. “That’s yearbook photos,” I thought, “not exactly what I signed up for.”  But the permanent staff work so hard here and this was something I could do to share the load, so I said, “I’d love to!” Several hours and 163 kids later (thank you, Haley, for your help) it struck me that I had been given what was probably an especially unique gift.

A photographer strives to “look and see” things around them that most people may walk past and miss, and to reveal subtly impactful stories that hide there. It may be a wedding or a baby or, as in my case, beautiful Rocky Mountain landscapes. There is always a story to be told and a picture holds a thousand words. Today I looked into the eyes of every kid here and took a little bit of their story with me.

It was in their eyes, in their smile, in the way they carried themselves or maybe in the way they thought about connecting with their sponsor. That they are fed, cared for, educated, and daily shown the love of Jesus assures that their life is changed forever. They have opportunity two million other Zimbabwean orphans will never have. When I think about the privilege I have had I think I can start to see at least part of God’s purpose for me being here.

Most special of all those eyes and smiles was four year old Bethany, a little Shona girl and the daughter of one of the employees here. She has bright eyes and a sweet spirit and her little girl smile betrays a cute gap where she’s missing her two front teeth. And my wife and I will be sponsoring her for her education here at Eden Children’s Village. I can’t wait to tell her tomorrow in church!

Thank you, Jesus. It has been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment